When it comes to forklifts, it can seem like the choices are limitless. With different manufacturers, engine sizes and not forgetting your own team making suggestions, where do you start?
Our top tips below should be able to help. Read on!
The Reason Why
Sometimes, people can just miss out why they need something. There’s nothing wrong with that, but it can hinder giving you best advice. Before you make a call or press “send email”, put some detail into:
- The Demand Type – is it seasonal, unexpected, planned, emergency? Knowing the details on your demand will help to give you the best options (and save you time and money). Short term hire, contract hire, leasing and by the hour all have their pros and cons, which is why we ask why
- Specialist Needs – occasionally, it might be that you need a certain piece of equipment to a very specific job done. Certain manufacturers tailor their forklifts for this, so bear this in mind and state key pieces of info where you can
Check Your Dimensions
When you’ve got a few people telling you what “they” think you need, things can quickly turn into a free for all. Metric becomes imperial, 6 foot becomes 1.83 metres and before you know it, you’re requesting things that aren’t needed.
To avoid any confusion, there’s an easy fix. Common sense and measurements. We’ve had requests for 8-metre lifting height forks when they only need to clear 2.
Give Us Your Breakdown
You don’t need to be an expert in everything. In fact, we offer a Free Site Survey to help find the perfect solution. But these details are always handy to tell:
- What are the size and weight of the products you’re moving?
- Are you using the forklift indoors or outdoors?
- What kind of surface are you operating on?
- Are there any height restrictions?
- Do you have charging stations for electric forklifts/pallets?
- And, very simply, how long do you need the forklift for?
P.S. There’s 3 foot 3 inches in 1 metre… just in case.